Special collections departments or libraries on college and university campuses often hold much for the study of local history and genealogy. Yes, they likely include the university’s archives but the other manuscripts, oral histories, newspapers, and books can be a gold mine for research. Local history collections in city and county public libraries are also the home of many resources for family history research. Check out these blogs that are produced by staff at such collections.
- Haverford College Libraries, Quaker and Special Collections http://news.haverford.edu/blogs/special/
- University of Montana, Missoula, Archives & Special Collections at the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library http://content.lib.umt.edu/spcoll/
- Sandusky Library Archives Research Center, Sandusky, Ohio http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/
- The Top Shelf, University of Texas, San Antonio Libraries Special Collections http://libtmp.lib.utsa.edu/blogs/index.php?blog=7
- University of Kentucky Archives and the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History http://www.ukyarchives.blogspot.com/
- Iowa State University Special Collections Blog http://isuspecialcollections.wordpress.com/
- The San José State University Special Collections & Archives http://sjsuspecialcollections.blogspot.com/
© 2010 – 2014, Paula Stuart-Warren. All rights reserved.