During the Vietnam War era, I lived near and then on the base at Moffett Naval Air Station in Mountain View, California. My now ex-husband was stationed there and at the Naval Air Facility on Adak, one of the Aleutian Islands. Our oldest son was born in Mountain View during that time, and we later moved back to Minnesota . My father served in the Army Air Corps during WWII, and I have a scrapbook with many pictures.
For Veterans’ Day 2021, I decided to start a listing of family members who have proudly served in the United States Military. I’m going to include those of my children, too. It’s the start of a list and I will add more to it for 2022 after additional research. I’m sure relatives will remind me of those I have missed.
- Paternal Great Great Grandfather William Rudolph Slaker served in the Army in the Civil War from Wisconsin
- Maternal Granduncle William G. Cook served in the Army during WWI from Minnesota
- Maternal Granduncle Roy W. Hanley served in the Army during WWI from Minnesota
- Maternal Granduncle Leon J. Hanley served in WWI from Minnesota
- Paternal Granduncle Lamer F. Stuart served in the Army in WWI from Minnesota
- Father William E. Stuart served in the Army Air Corps/Army Air Forces during WWII from Minnesota
- Father-in-law James H. Warren served in the Army during World War II
- Maternal 1st cousin, once removed Robert L. Hanley served in WWII from Minnesota and was a POW
- Maternal Uncle by marriage Gerald J. Mueller served in the Korean War from Minnesota and was a POW who was murdered in the POW camp
- Ex-husband James W. Warren served in the Navy from Minnesota during the Vietnam War era and was in the Naval Reserves both before and after the War.
© 2021, Paula Stuart-Warren. All rights reserved.