Two weeks from today is the start of the Minnesota Genealogical Society’s North Star DNA Day. It had a limit to the registration so that more people could get direct help. It filled almost immediately.
Don’t be disappointed, the MGS North Star Conference takes place the following two days, October 6 & 7. You do need to register to attend these days. The conference is being held at The Earle Brown Conference Center in Brooklyn Center (adjacent to Minneapolis), right off I-694 and Highway 100. It is brimming with Minnesota heritage – it is an historic family farm converted to a modern conference center.
Register now. Why register before that time? Let’s look at the reasons:
- There will be enough chairs and tables set up.
- Presenters will have a better idea of the audience numbers as that sometimes affects how a presentation is done.
- Any presenters bringing extra handout material will have enough.
- The best reason: advance access to the electronic syllabus (that includes the handouts of the presenters) and you can then print out the sections for the sessions you plan to attend.
- Free parking (ok, you can still get free parking if you register at the door but you will not have had a chance to review the syllabus).
- October is Family History Month!
Two keynote speakers, 20 breakout sessions, vendors of genealogical and historical materials, a Q & A panel, door prizes, networking, and more. I happen to know both of the keynote speakers and they are in cahoots with some special planning. Those speakers are Cyndi Ingle of Cyndi’s List fame and Paula Stuart-Warren. That latter person is me. I double-checked the name and bio to be sure. I get to be a keynote presenter just 20 minutes from my apartment!
The conference has something for everyone. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced genealogical researcher, this event is for you. No Minnesota ancestry? The presenters include general methodology and resources plus specifics from a wide variety of localities. Need technology education? It’s covered. Need DNA info? Covered. Need more land records education? Covered. Take a peek at the MGS website to see all the topics.
One more thing, join MGS and save $40 on the full conference cost! That’s a good deal. Join us at the Friday evening banquet, too. As the banquet speaker, I promise humor with some messages and will not let you fall asleep! All details and online registration are on the MGS website.
© 2017, Paula Stuart-Warren. All rights reserved.
2 comments on “Just two weeks till the MGS North Star Genealogy Conference. Details galore!”
How and when do you get access to the electronic syllabus for North Star Conference?
I am registered.
MGS will send an email notification to all registrants when the syllabus is available. See you soon!